Sunday, January 4, 2009

Back in the day...

Several years ago (2003-04 to be exact) when I was in college and dating Matt I wanted to learn to crochet better. But I didn't know where to start. Matt asked me to make him a scarf for those chilly winter morning motorcycle rides. We were living in Arizona at the time, but when you rocketing down the highway at 70 miles and hour and its 5am on a January morning, its still cold! So I set out on figuring out how to make a scarf. Not that hard, really. But when all I have managed to make was very tight stitches and a square that wasn't really a square (I kept losing stitches, so it was more triangular). Plus, I really wanted this to be perfect for him.

Matt's only request was for the scarf to be really long and thick and lime green. His motorcycle was lime green, as was his helmet and riding jacket.

An except from a journal entry from January 04:

...Matt asked about the scarf I am going to crochet him. I told him to hold his horses. I need the yarn first! It has to be mailed to me before I can start, silly. :) I was also looking at the pattern book that Kate brought over. She is making an afghan to sell on eBay. so she has this pattern book. They all look so hard! Except the one that was all squares/rectangles of different sizes. I could do that one. I am sure I could do all of them, its just a matter of sitting down and TRYING. Maybe I can go to a craft store to get a pattern book instead of just making the stupid squares. I have one pattern book. But its a sampler. So its just about 100 and something squares that all have a different pattern. And half of the patterns are freaking hard! Or it could just be me not liking how it looks after two rows... lol...

I ordered the yarn from a website, smileysyarn.com I think. The yarn skeins were very small, only 1.75oz each, they were Bernat Softees. Since I was not working off a pattern I had no idea how much I would need (never mind that I probably could have just looked at patterns online to get an idea). And the yarn was on sale, so I bought a huge amount of yarn. I am not even sure how much it was exactly now. I think I got 20 skeins of each color (white and lime green). Which was WAY too much. I decided on a simple "pattern" of double crochets, not sure how many stitches per row though. It was 7 rows of each color. And I made it 14 stripes long, i think. It was a long and thick scarf. And Matt loved it. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it. Oh well. It was the first crochet project I had ever finished I was very proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment