Thursday, January 1, 2009

Where do I start?

I have been crocheting for several years. I first learned when I was about 12 years old. I was in Girl Scouts and we had the craft of the week (or was it month? I don't remember...) set up as crocheting. I don't remember if there was supposed to be a follow up. But it sure didn't seem like it. The first square I attempted to do on my own turned into a triangle because I wasn't doing the chain stitch. But that's how I learn. I know that now, back then I was extremely frustrated and refused to work on it for a long time.

Some time later my grandma had to give up crocheting because her hands hurt too much to do it anymore. So I inherited her stash of yarn. It came in the form of a huge black trash bag packed with yarn. Of course not knowing how to really do anything I took the opportunity to wind all of the skeins into balls. And wound them all too tight, so a few years later I had to throw them away because the yarn was stretched. Or that's what I tell myself now, I don't remember the real reason for throwing them out. Maybe that was the reason. Maybe my mom threw them out because I wasn't doing anything with them and it was cluttering my room. Maybe it was because we were moving and we didn't have room for a huge bag of yarn in our new small apartment.

At one point, when I was about 15 or so, I tried to make a sampler afghan, but once I got past the simple squares (single crochet, half double, double, treble, double treble) I couldn't do the harder stitches. I think I didn't have the patience to figure it out. And that yarn ended up in the trash or otherwise donated.

Years after that I saw yet another afghan that I wanted to do. I remember it was made up of lots of small squares... Or I wanted to make it with the small squares instead of having to figure out the color changing. I hadn't gotten to that part of my crochet knowledge. I never did get far with that either. The next time I moved I gave away all the yarn to a lady who crocheted blankets and hats for cancer patients or something. At least that yarn went on to a good place.

I had about a year of not doing any crochet, I had moved on to cross stitch. But then I was Stumbling online and saw this website (can't remember what it is now) that has a crocheted animal. And there were lots of patterns for crocheted animals! I instantly fell in love and had to go out and buy several books and yarn, and I dug out my crochet hooks. And I have been crocheting ever since.

So that's my history. Next time I will post one of my first crocheted animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment